Proud Flesh - Again!

I just skimmed over the proud flesh posts because I have older geldings
who just don't get into trouble anymore, and new fencing - all nice
treated posts and three strands of nice, tight high tensile wire.

Of course, now that I need to read those posts, I've been too quick to
hit the Delete key, and the archives won't let me see September!

I called the horses in tonight, and heard a Cccrrreeeaaakkk, THWANG! One
horse came trotting in, then the other two. They headed into their
stalls and started eating their grain. Check them over - oops, blood
running down #1's leg. Deep inverted V-shaped cut on front left just
above the fetlock. Call vet at 11:30 pm. Of course he is sleeping.
Luckily for me (and him) he is only 3 miles away. Half an hour after the
incident leg is stitched up and bandaged. Stall rest for a few days to
try to keep stitches in place.

After all the talk about proud flesh, I am now in the position to start
keeping it minimal from scratch (no pun intended). Do stitched wounds
(where the stitches actually stay in) develop enough proud flesh that I
would need to worry about it? I will be changing the dressing (gauze pad
and vetwrap) twice a day. The wound is very clean. Should I put anything
on it, or just the gauze?

Anybody ever see how these V-shaped lacerations are caused by
high-tensile? I can't understand how it could have happened.

Kelli (checking fence in the morning)
and Crockett (confined to box stall) and Bay (why do I have to stay in?)