ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Re: Easy Foam

Re: Re: Easy Foam

DreamWeaver (karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us)
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 10:49:14 -0800

At 03:17 AM 12/21/97 EST, you wrote:
>Has anyone tried PAM non-stick cooking spray in the boot before "foaming"? I
>haven't tried it myself but might help...! CS

This is just my experience...but when I used PAM, it caused the chemical
reaction from the foam not to work. So I ended up with a big runny glob of
goop oozing out of the easy boot. So....that experiment didn't go over too
well. Since then, I have found that if you just rub a little bit of
vaseline on the back of the heel strap and/or metal gripper teeth, that the
foam doesn't stick to those spots and makes it a lot easier to get off.
Since I have been wrapping both the heel strap and the horses foot with
vetwrap, I can easily get four foamed on easy boots off in under ten or
fifteen minutes.

I do a few other things to my boots to make them ride-ready. If anybody is
interested, e-mail me and I'd be happy to share.

Last ride..came home and took off 6 foamed on easy boots, pulled out the
foam and vetwrap and the whole thing took less than half an hour. Soaking
with water ahead of time helps, and so does having lots of practice. My
farrier couldn't tell at all that the horses had had the easy boots on
their feet for almost an entire week, and one had gone 50 miles and the
other 100 miles. He was especially pleased with how well Rocky's hind feet
looked...after having the boots on for so long.

One word of caution tho...if you are going to use easy boots at an
endurance ride, make sure your horse is used to them ahead of time. You'll
want to do that anyway just to make sure the boots are adjusted properly
and fit well.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville...where it's snowing
& Dream Weaver...1025 miles...in easy boots
& Rocky...350 miles...in easyboots too :-)