ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Recommended rations

Re: Recommended rations

Robert J. Morris (bobmorris@rmci.net)
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 11:01:57 -0700

Must say we agree with Sarah in the case of feeding the endurance horse. We
have been feeding and riding endurance horses for more than 20 years now
with a modicum of success (over 26,000 miles in top ten, one AERC Hall of
Fame Mare, several more with 5/3 and 2,000 miles on them.

We feed the same ration every day of the week with seasonal adjustments and
some minor ones for work load. Plenty of exercise and free choice of the
vegetation growing in these sparse foothills. Right now the horses will not
come for the morning feeding as the cheat grass is sprouting, the rabbit
brush has snow on it and there are some cottonwood leaves under the snow.
They get their grain (1 to 2 pounds of rolled barley) and some fair quality
hay in the evening feeding.

I still do not feel the average horse needs all the fuss that is going on
concerning feeding unless that horse is being placed in upper level
competition. In fact I feel (personal feelings no scientific backup) that
many of the problems the average horse encounters is caused by the owner
looking for an easy way (read special feeds, additives, shoes etc.) to get
better performance with minimal preparation.

Face it people, we have found over the years that not only does it take
several years to develop the physical necessities for top competition, it
can take several years to teach a horse to eat properly for the same
competition. Still say, start out with the basics, when competition level
requires more then add very slowly or better yet drop back and condition
more slowly.

I await the flames, it is cold here today so send them on.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance enterprises
Boise, ID