ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: feeding grain during rides.

Re: feeding grain during rides.

Susan Evans Garlinghouse (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Sun, 07 Dec 1997 12:59:46 -0800

Tivers wrote:

> In a message dated 97-12-06 14:46:38 EST, bmurdock@cyberhighway.net writes:
>
> << What about adding vegetable oils to the feed before, during & after? It
> seems that this would provide higher potency. How long would it take for the
> metabolism to utilize it? Are there downsides I am overlooking?
>
> Bruce >>
>
> Bruce,
>
> I don't know. Depending on the intensity of work, glycogen metabolism will
> push fat metabolism aside. Fat, in turn, can compromise (inhibit) glycogen
> usage. I'm not sure where the breakpoints are in an equine endurance activity.
> >From reports in humans, though, fat intake on the day of the event makes for
> sluggish performance.
>
> ti

Hi all,

Just leaping in for thirty seconds before I go scampering off to the
library again (it's Finals Week)---I agree with Tom on this one, I don't
think there's any benefit on race day to giving fats during the
ride---the majority of benefits from feeding fats (which I suspect Tom
and I will be happily debating for the next ten years) will come from
having fed it beforehand, not that very day. This is just a personal
feeling, though, maybe Dr. Ralston or Gayle have some firmer data. On
the other hand, as long as you don't overdo it, it's probably not going
to cause any harm or measurable change in performance. It might give
you a headstart on making up for the calories burned during the race,
but my feeling is that's about all. Keep in mind that while a horse can
definitely run out of glycogen/glucose during prolonged exercise, a
horse in decent body condition already has PLENTY of fat onboard to fuel
metabolic needs and doesn't need more supplied during the ride. I'd be
more concerned with supplying foods that maintained gut motility and
replaced fluid losses.

Back to studying, see ya in a few days...

Susan Garlinghouse