ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: What should treatment Vets be paid?

Re: What should treatment Vets be paid?

Linda S. Flemmer (bluwolf@earthlink.net)
Fri, 05 Dec 1997 17:20:14 -0800

Dinah Rojek wrote:

> I would be interested in any opinions on the whether or not riders should
> pay treatment veterinarians and if so at what rate -- regular fees?
> medications only? Flat fee plus meds? Do you think those expenses should be
> ride management's problem? Or should the veterinarians donate their time?

Yes, the rider should pay the treatment vet for their knowledge and for
tools and medicines used. In my opinion (& the way I've run rides in
the past), the treatment vet is paid a moderate retainer for showing up
and the rider is expected to pay for services rendered. The vet & the
rider are to agree upon fees and method of payment. The ride management
is in no way responsible for the individual treatments' costs.

Flat fee and donations of time probably won't work. The number of
horses and severity of problems are unknowns and may run up very costly
tabs. Were I the vet, I'd have <ZERO> incentive to come and help. I
would at least expect to break even.

I've yet to ever need a treatment vet, but I'm always glad that they're
there, just in case. (And just in case, I always have a check book
with me!)

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV