ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Carbos, how much does grain weigh?

Re: Carbos, how much does grain weigh?

Susan Evans Garlinghouse (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 05 Dec 1997 08:12:48 -0800

Teresa Van Hove wrote:

> I wonder if a lot of us aren't underestimating the amount of grain we
> offer our horses. I've tended to think of a "3 lb" coffee can as 3 lbs
> of grain, but I think grain is actually heavier than coffee, so this is
> probably more like 4 lbs. Has anyone actually weighed
> a coffee can of grain?

Yup. This is based on the "3 lb" coffee can, filled level to the top:
Oats, barley, beet pulp - 4 pounds
corn - 4 1/2 pounds
wheat bran - 1 3/4 pounds.

Also is there any research yet on the glucose
> response from beet pulp? Has any research been done showing the glucose
> response to grain on horses that were given free choice hay, or hay and
> beet pulp rather than fasted beforehand?

Yes to all, but I'm a little behind on looking up cites---I'm just
starting finals on Monday and so life stops while I go tear my hair out
for awhile. Will get back and post further discussions soon---and there
ARE quite a few other factors worth discussing besides blood glucose
levels at any given time, all very important to endurance horses.

Seeya soon,

Susan Garlinghouse
Off to go be a student for a change...