ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Feeds - Hay, Carbos, Fats, Suppliments

Re: Feeds - Hay, Carbos, Fats, Suppliments

Susan Evans Garlinghouse (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 04 Dec 1997 12:53:07 -0800

Cyberpony@aol.com wrote:

> << Bottom line, 1.5% of BW in the form of hay as a "minimum" might be a
> better rule of thumb >>
>
> No one has mentioned grass and pasture. This is a large part of my horses'
> diet. We live in central Florida and have grass most all year round. In the
> summer I give them only a token amount of hay when I put them in the barn for
> the night. In the winter they get more, but I still don't think we are up to
> the 1.5%. When we go to rides (and pasture is not available) they get a hay
> bag hanging in front of them all the time they aren't moving.
>
> Do I presume correctly that the 1.5% figure is for horses that don't get
> turned out on grass?
>
> Get me up to speed here :-)
>
> ~Nora

Correct. Another loose rule of thumb is that a horse has to eat between
five and ten pounds of grass to equal one pound of hay made from the
same grass, due to the water content. The trick is in trying to weigh
the amount of grass your horse ate while out grazing.

Susan Garlinghouse