ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Ivers Feeding Guide

Re: Ivers Feeding Guide

Barbara Madill (madill@teleplex.net)
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 09:42:47 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 03 Dec 1997 16:25:44 -0800 you wrote:

>Tom wrote:
>>>... but you also need incoming carbs at the beginning and throughout the
ride. My suggestion would be 1 lb of grain for each hour out from the start.
For example if the start is 9:00 AM and you feed at 7:00, then 2 lbs of
grain would be a good start. At 3 hours out, 3 lbs of grain. 1 hour out, 1
lb of grain. And then grain maybe every two hours during the ride.<<<

Just out of curiosity....how many of you out there could get your horse to
eat this much grain? Let's be honest!!

I took Tom's Feeding Guide to mean that the max to feed BEFORE the
ride would be to feed no more than a pound per hour before the ride ----

During the ride I'd be prepared for the horse to eat about the same
amount depending on the length of the rest period.

Barbara (and Larca -- Grain? Mash? Yum, yum, I'll eat mine and everyone
else's, too!)