ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: KISS feeding and tying up

Re: KISS feeding and tying up

Barbara Madill (madill@teleplex.net)
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 19:34:39 -0500 (EST)

At 05:19 PM 12/2/97 -0500, you wrote:

><< Dr. Matthew Mackay-Smith once said that horses don't carbo-load too
> well. Try it and they tie up.
>
>If you don't exercise the horse for several days, he will tie up, no matter
>what you feed.

Is this so? I had thought it was the high protein feeding programs
we were all using back in the 60's, or in not cutting back feed enough when
exercise was cut back.

What is your difinition of not exercising for several days? No work,
cooped up; no work, out to hilly pasture with buddies??

Can a risk of tie up be minimized by cutting back on feed before the
cut back on work? (The cut back on feed at the same time the work is cut
back is a given -- I usually feed 1/4 to 1/3 at most the concentrates when
I've cut back, depending on the weight level of the horse).

What is the data on why Sugar/Chromium would end a case of tie up?
I had success with Vitamin E and Bran, cutting back on total protein and
alfalfa.

>Meanwhile, I have thousands of customerswinning $millions via glycogen

Can the risk of tie up be mimimized by easing out of and back into
work, or have I just been lucky (or not asking the levels of performance
that might prove risky)?

Barbara