Re: Barley straw

Dee VanGilder (vgarab@TRANSPORT.COM)
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 13:50:06 -0800

At 09:12 PM 11/29/97 -0800, seamstob@telusplanet.net wrote:
>Hi
> I need some advice please.
> I am having trouble finding oat straw which I have always used in the
>past. I can get good clean barley straw. My gelding loves to nibble
>straw . Does it matter if it is barley? He doesn't get barley in his
>ration.
>Thanks in advance
>Paddi

Hi,
My family ranch raises wheat and barley and so every other year we have
barley straw. It is great for bedding and for giving the horses a little
extra to snack on. My mom has been doing this for nearly 50 years with no
ill effects. We also feed rolled barley to our horses that are being worked
and pregnant mares and foals. It is a great feed (but don't over feed)
Hopes this eases your mind.

Dee Van Gilder (541)442-5142
Marjorie Van Gilder - Owner (541)442-5432
Van Gilder Arabians
Wasco, Oregon
Home of Nehalems Muhuli (Muhuli x Rafanna)FV SToic(Farlane x Muferrra)
& Mackies Image (Abu Malcar x Bayetta)-(now standing at Fire Mountain Arabians)
and their band of mares!!