Re: Scotch guard

Linda S. Flemmer (bluwolf@earthlink.net)
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:26:09 -0800

Kristen L Olko wrote:

> Has anyone used Scotch guard to waterproof horse blankets? How
> much success did you have? Please let me know ASAP.

Yes, this is an endurance forum..... :[

For your <ENDURANCE> blankets, scotch guard works pretty well until they
roll a time or two. It is a repellant, not a proofer, so the water will
soak through eventually anyway.

The best solution is a cordura blanket or a New Zealand blanket.
Cordura has a waterproof coating and the cotton in the New Zealands
swell to prevent soaking through. I have friends who have made gortex
sheets for their horses, but most can't afford that (me included).

If your horses aren't cold, they should be ok outside in the rain, esp.
w/ a run in shed. If they're cold & wet, it's a bad combination. Get
them under shelter if your <ENDURANCE> horse's banket is soaking
through.

Good luck - it's raining here too (and should change to snow by the
weekend).

Linda Flemmer
Blue WOlf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV