lowered pulse criteria and CRI

guest@endurance.net
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 18:42:49 -0800 (PST)

From: Glenda R. Snodgrass
Email: grs@theneteffect.com

I can't seem to post to Ridecamp anymore (please tell me I've not been blackballed :), so I'm resorting to a "guest message" -- since I simply MUST put in my two cents worth!

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Robert J. Morris wrote:

<SNIP>
> I would suggest that on the subject of lowered pulse and the use of CRI for
> control you all go back to the basics again. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF
> THE RIDER TO CARE FOR THE WELFARE OF THE HORSE. Learn your horse and do not
> depend on the Vet to do your control for you. Are you so "out of control"
> that you have no sensibility left during competition?? Can you not listen
> to your horse??? Can you not perforn the same control that the vet does??
> i.e. listen to the horse???
<SNIP>

It is my impression that there are three basic categories of endurance
riders: "good" experienced riders who care about and take good care of
their horses; "bad" experienced riders who care a little less and race a
little too much and sometimes (or often) override their horses and really
should know better; and inexperienced riders who do not yet fall
into either of the above categories.

I would like to think that the purpose of rules such as pulse criteria and
CRI use are to help protect the horses of the "bad" experienced riders AND the
inexperienced riders who just haven't got it all yet, and most
importantly, to help the inexperienced riders "learn" their horses. It
takes a long time to really "learn" your horse, I think, but part of the
learning process is riding and competing him before you know everything
there is to know about him. Otherwise, how does one learn? The only way
to go farther and faster is to regularly work beyond your present capacity
-- I daresay that inexperienced riders and their horses could use a little
help, sometimes, in knowing when they've crossed the line of working too
far beyond present capacity.

I'm not expressing an opinion as to how low the pulse criteria should be,
since I am too inexperienced at this point to know. I depend on you, the
experienced endurance riders and ride managers, et al., to help me help
myself, by making rules that will guide me as I continue to learn my
horse and this sport.

I just wanted to remind you all once again -- the newbies are here, and we are legion.

Glenda & Lakota (25 down, 1000s to go!)