QH in Endurance (kinda long, as usual)

Kim (aliakey@geocities.com)
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 16:33:56 -0800

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997 19:15:30 -0500, Janice Taylor
<JANUSTUDIO@compuserve.com> wrote:

> Glad to hear you are interested in distance riding. You might want to try
> competitive riding for a while before venturing into endurance. You can
> learn a lot there, and with your QH you are on more equal footing,
> especially the NATRC santioned rides. NATRC doesn't use so much speed to elimate > horses. In fact many other breeds besides Arabs do quite well
> there. I can't seem to lay my hands on the address so if anyone out there
> has it? Good luck and have fun.
> Jan
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Going to put my cents in on this one... please keep in mind that I'm not
trying to offend anyone here, just a different perspective...

I have had no problem conditioning Quarter Horses and their crosses for
endurance, and there are some distinct advantages with the stockier
types, in my opinion. The conditioning program needs to be different
(ie much slower), and I have had a lot of luck with Tom Iver's
techniques.

This is going to be a very vague description, but...

First of all, QH tend to have a lot of "fast twitch" muscles, usually
around 42 percent of all of their muscle fiber types. The fast twitch
muscles are basically used for sprinting and strength work, and work
best in an anaerobic (no oxygen) environment. These fibers are great
for putting on the early, fast speed and will leave any other horse in
the dust, for a limited distance only.

The muscle types used mostly in endurance are called "slow twitch", and
they work best in an environment with plenty of oxygen. At a walk,
trot, and lope on the flat, your horse will usually pull in and
transport enough oxygen for these fibers. These fibers will keep the
horse going and going for a long period of time, as long as an adequate
amount of oxygen, fuel, electrolytes, etc. reaches these fibers.

One more fiber type which exists is called the "fast twitch, high
oxidative". In an unconditioned horse, these will preform the same
duties as the fast twitch muscle fibers. However, when properly
conditioned, you CAN train them to accept and use oxygen, just like slow
twitch fibers.

The Arabian's average muscle fiber composition is: 20% slow twitch, 30%
fast twitch, and 50% fast twitch, high oxidative.

The Quarter Horse tends to have 8% slow twitch, 42% fast twitch, and 50%
fast twitch, high oxidative fibers.

So, when conditioning your QH, you're stuck at an initial disadvantage;
the Arabian has an additional 12% more slow twitch fibers than the QH,
unconditioned. What your strategy should be is to condition as many of
those fast twitch, high oxidative fibers as possible to accept oxygen.
You have to slowly build up your miles, so that these oxidative fibers
yell, "Hey guys! We're not needed for sprinting anymore... we're needed
for going and going". Then, in a "perfect" world, you could have the
equivilant of 58% oxygen-drawing fibers for the QH. In comparison with
a conditioned Arabian in a "perfect" world, he would have the equivilant
of 70% oxidative fibers. Okay, the QH is not right up there with the
Arab, but from experience I can say the QH tends to have other
advantages to help him out.

Take in consideration the strength factor. You still have the fast
twitch fibers, which can never be "converted" like the fast twitch, high
oxidative fibers. So, use them to your advantage! Climb hills like a
mountain goat, lug around a little extra weight (water???)... uh,
remember to condition those fast twitch fibers for this type of work.
Make up your time with this strategy, and use the QH to his best
advantage.

If your QH has the mind for endurance ("let's GO guys!") and the
conformation, just be sure to take extra time to condition the fast
twitch, high oxidative muscles. Good Luck!

Kim (and the QH X, geriatic 'Lee)