Re: Felting

Laney Humphrey (laneyh@mbay.net)
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 08:25:22 -0800

Monika - funny you should ask about felting horsehair... I've been told by
several old-timers that people used to make great saddle pads by gathering
shed-out horsehair, putting it in a burlap sack, putting that under their
saddle and riding and riding and riding. Eventually the horsehair felts
into the "best" saddle pad. (I imagine that the burlap either integrates
or disintegrates.) I'm told the pads did all the things pads are supposed
to do - wick sweat from the horse's back, absorb shock, protect from
pressure from the saddle.
The original horseriders from the Steppes of Central Asia rode on nothing
but pads. Maybe they stuffed them with horsehair. Give it a try and let
us know how it works!!!
Here's to warm-instead-of-cold winters - why do you think I'm in central
CA? (Horse here still grow massive coats) Laney