Re: Rhino Vaccinations

rikan@e-z.net
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 21:18:32 -0700

G & J Thom wrote:
>=20
> This is not totally endurance related but I know someone
> will be able to help me. If my endurance horse has been exposed
> to Rhino earlier in the season and she is vaccinated for Rhino,
> will she bring it back home and pass it on to two mares that
> I just purchased a week ago who are 5 months in foal and have
> not been vaccinated for Rhino???
> I am quite concerned and was wondering if it is advisable to
> vaccinated the two new mares in foal for Rhino right away.
> Also is there a incubation period for this virus will it come and
> haunt me in the spring??
>=20
> Thanks
> JuliaJULIA, YOU DIDN'T SAY WHETHER YOUR ENDURANCE HORSE CONTRACTED =
RHINO, OR=20
HAD SYMPTOMS. IF THE ENDURANCE HORSE WAS VACINATED AND EXPOSED BUT=20
DIDN'T CONTRACT THE DISEASE THAT'S GOOD. THE MARES IN FOAL SHOULD BE=20
KEPT SEPARATE REGARDLESS OF THE EXPOSURE, IF POSSIBLE. PNEUMABORT K +=20
1B A FORT DODGE VACCINE FOR PREGNANT MARES IS RECOMMENDED AT 5, 7 AND 9=20
MONTHS GESTATION TO PREVENT RHINO THAT CAUSES ABORTION IN PREGNANT =
MARES,=20
AND ALL HORSES IN CONTACT WITH THE PREGNANT MARES SHOULD BE VACCINATED. =

I WOULD CONTACT YOUR VETERINARIAN REGARDING THE POSSIBILITY OF YOUR =
MARES=20
HAVING ALREADY BEEN EXPOSED AND WHETHER THEY SHOULD BE VACCINATED=20
IMMEDIATELY. A VACCINATION IS AN ACTUAL ANTIGEN, CHANGED, KILLED, SO =
THE=20
IMMUNE SYSTEM OF AN ANIMAL RESPONDS BY BUILDING ANTIBODIES AND MEMORY=20
CELLS ON HOW TO COMBAT A CERTAIN DISEASE. UNFORTUNATELY WITH RHINO AND=20
FLU THE ANTIBODIES ARE SHORT LIVED, WHICH MEANS WE NEED TO VACCINATE =
MORE=20
OFTEN AGAINST THESE DISEASES.