Re: trot/canter in the mud

Kim (aliakey@geocities.com)
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 22:21:45 -0800

Well, I'm gonna pull off my endurance boots and slip into my ranching
boots for this one. When I was a ranch hand a few years ago, the
winters were always dreaded because most, if not all of the cattle ended
up with footrot and lump jaw. So, after about a week of rain, 'Lee and I
would gather at least five cows/calves EACH day out of the muddy pasture
to treat back at the chutes.

When these pastures got muddy, they were muddy! Mid-cannon bone deep in
most places, and just about all of the work was done at a fast trot or a
lope (these cows reminded me of the southern bush Brahmas, even though
they were Herefords!). The cows and calves never walked to the chutes,
no matter how far away you followed!

Anyway, 'Lee preferred to lope versus trotting through the mud. One
reason I could guess at is that she was able to "push" off her big QH
rearend easier at a lope than a trot. We did this for years, and she
never went lame or fell, and she could manuever more securely on turns
at a lope. So, I let her choose. I would advise to let your horse get
accustomed to your weight over mud for awhile before trying any
roll-backs or cutting calves though (snicker)! And of course, make sure
those muscles are warmed up at a walk or slow jog first before picking
up a faster pace (my disclaimer). Have fun!

Oh yeah, expect to lose the shoes sometime as the great Mud God sucks
them to the deep bellows of the earth to replenish the crust's iron
store! Never had any problems with traction when Lee was barefoot,
though.

Kim (and "Where are those *!!@$* cows this time?", 'Lee)

(snip)