Re: Posting or Standing?

Truman Prevatt (truman.prevatt@netsrq.com)
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 21:16:44 -0500

At 07:31 PM 11/11/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Who said that? I missed that one. Anyway, that's not correct. Weight
>supported by the stirrups is not applied to two points on the horse. The
>stirrups attach to the tree and the tree spreads the weight. If the saddle
>is properly designed and fitted, the weight will be spread uniformly over
>the entire contact area between saddle and horse.

This really depends on the design of the saddle and where the stirrups are
hung. If they are hung a little forward then the weight is thrown on front
part of the saddle which puts more stress on the horses's forehand.

>IMO "standing" is less stressful to the horse than posting because the
>rider's knees absorb the up-and-down motion of the horse's back, rather
>than the horse having to accelerate the rider up out of the saddle every
>other stride. It is this uneven stress (while posting) that necessitates
>changing diagonals periodically.

This is a good point. I tend to change between two point, posting and
cantering in order to spread the stress out - not to mention change muscle
groups being used.

Truman