Fwd: wormers

ChacoL@aol.com
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 13:29:12 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-11-07 08:56:24 EST, VervaetP@deruyter.k12.ny.us writes:

<< For all the wormer questions going on: Ivermectin does not cause any
resistance problems. Ivermectin kills everything except tapes. >>

This is what I've been told by Merck research vets. It's so effective there
are no survivors; hence no resistant worms. I once asked an Australian
dressage instructor who was visiting Calif. about their worming programs.
Ivermectin has been available in Australia many years longer than in the
U.S. At the time, she said they have been using it exclusively with no
rotation for many years with no problems.

Linda
San Francisco
---------------------
Forwarded message:
From: VervaetP@deruyter.k12.ny.us (The Vervaet's)
To: ridecamp@endurance.net (Ridecamp)
Date: 97-11-07 08:56:24 EST

VervaetP@deruyter.K12.NY.US
For all the wormer questions going on:
Ivermectin does not cause any
resistance problems. Ivermectin kills
everything except tapes. Strongid
(tube) should be rotated in x2/year (for
the tapeworms), to be timed
according to your local recommendations (check
with vet?). Strongid (tube)
should be given in double dose (2 tubes) when
it's done. Rotating other
wormers in is not necessary. Some people do it
to save money. I'd rather
keep it simple and know the job is getting done.
That's the extent of my
knowledge and experience.
Paula