Re: Beet Pulp: to Susan Gar.

Susan Evans Garlinghouse (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 03 Nov 1997 07:52:25 -0800

The Vervaet's wrote:

> VervaetP@deruyter.K12.NY.US
> Susan,
> I enjoyed your beet pulp posting so much that I printed it out for future
> reference! One question: If the horse is currently on the hay/grain
> method, how would adjustments be handled (i.e. amounts and over what period
> of time)? I have one horse that goes NUTS with sweetfeeds and I am
> consulting with Cornell now about a well balanced alternative that I can
> get locally. It seems that beet pulp would work well for him.
> Paula

Hi,

Yes, I think beet pulp would probably work very well for your guy if
grain gets him silly. Take about two-three weeks to add in beet pulp.
You can start adding some in and mixing it with the grain, then just
increasing beet pulp and decreasing mixed in feed. If you reach a level
with the grain that he tolerates OK, leave it theere if you need the
extra calories. Otherwise, if any grain gets him goofy, try replacing
the grain with corn oil---it doesn't have the soluble carbohydrates that
grain does, so doesn't cause the goffiness, while still providing a very
dense source of calories. Just remember that oil provides very little
by way of nutrients other than energy, plus a few vitamins. However if
you're feeding a good hay source, plus beet pulp, you're probably
feeding a pretty good diet.

Something else to keep in mind is that too much alfalfa can cause the
same temperament problems that grain does. If your hay is something
other than alfalfa, though, this won't be a problem.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you. See ya.

Susan

--------------6D10672111CD--