Re: unsubscribe

nancy s. reinhardt (thehorselady@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 10:54:46 -0700

----------
> From: ridecamp-d-request@fsr.com
> To: ridecamp-d@endurance.net
> Subject: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #716
> Date: Friday, October 31, 1997 11:40 AM
>
> ------------------------------
>

> ridecamp-d Digest Volume 97 : Issue 716
>
> Today's Topics:
> Re: 25's to 50's
> Re: how to clean a filthy winter coat?
> Akhal-teke horses
> Saddle for Heavyweight rider
> Hooves
> Training in the sand
> Re: Frank Mechelhoff's speed in hilly terrain
> Re: Speed in hilly terrain/ training question
> Re: flu
> Re:nutrition summary
> Adequan, product inserts (long)
> Rotating dewormers
> Re: black hooves v. white hooves
> rotating de-wormers
> my drug violation
> Tapeworms in horses??
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 18:24:14 -0800 (PST)
> From: guest@fsr.com
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Re: 25's to 50's
>
> PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO GUEST@ENDURANCE.NET!!!
> You must post replies to the actual sender listed below.
>
> From: Becke Grams
> Email: huntalic@pilot.msu.edu
>
> I understand your concern about going to longer distances. I rode
competive in Michigan for many years before endurance, and still do. The
distance is shorter and its good training for young horses.
> I did 2-3 25 miles rides and didn't think I or my horse could ever
go farther. Here I am doing 100's.
> I keep one rule of thumb in mind, speed kills. When I go to longer
distances with a horse, I don't increase the speed. In some cases I slow
down the speed. One step at a time. I want to evaluate my horse without
throwing in too many variables
> I also tell the vets if my horse is doing this distance for the
first time. They can help me rate my horse if I should get "endurance
brain".
> My training program is basically weekend riding. Severla weeks
before a 50, I might do 30 miles, but I never do 50 to train for a 50. You
want to bring your horse to peak conditioning just before the ride.
> I get carried away, having been a teacher for years. These are just
my experiences and suggestions. If you can use any of this, great.
Otherwise, ignor it. GOOD LUCK!

> [...]

> kat
> Orange County, Calif.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 10:30:01 +0100
> From: Frank Mechelhoff <fmechelh@c-s-k.de>
> To: Ridecamp <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: Re: Frank Mechelhoff's speed in hilly terrain
>

> > just curious,
> > how do you get 700 miles on a 4 1/2 year old horse?
> >
> > Katja
>
> Hi Katja,
>
> ..just checked my trainings sheet: yesterday she had 1068km (664 mls).
> riding her since last summer. til end of '96 mileage was only 47 mls.
> Most is walk. I count *every* mile, because every mile is good for bone,
>
> joint and tendon tissue. I still never made any "hard training" with
> her.. Quite carefully.. Maybe next year.. No weak sign til now (knock on
>
> wood) ...
> BTW, as a "standby horse" (beside my *race mare*) she has a lifetime
> mark of 5789km (3597 mls), some of them quite fast... still going most
> of the miles this way (3-4 x each week), enjoyed the work -- and still
> look "chubby".
>
> Frank
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 11:10:16 +0100
> From: Frank Mechelhoff <fmechelh@c-s-k.de>
> To: Ridecamp <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: Re: Speed in hilly terrain/ training question
>
> Hello Tom,
>
> thanks for your oppinion. You confirmed me to do carefully on this
> hill... I will *not* try this 2:20.. I only estimatated this could be
> her max.speed (but this could also be far missed).
> Actually she has fun going this in 3:06, and if the fun ends at 2:50, I
> will quit that...
> That 200 HR mark sounds reasonable to me. If I get a saddle on again (a
> small ;-[ girth sore at the moment) I will check it with my HRM.
> The last time I had it on, and we made a small burst of speed, (at the
> end of a 25mile ride), it went 180...156...132...116...90...76 - in half
> a minute. amazing.
> But I think there's still enough time to make some serious intervall
> work... don't want to cut the hills in halfs... that's only a prelude..
> endurance first..
>
> thanks Frank
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 08:20:27 -0500
> From: "lahayward" <haywardl@shentel.net>
> To: "Compaq" <trc@gte.net>
> Cc: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: Re: flu
>
> Hi Shelley -- sorry...I meant to send something out to everyone but
between
> the Ft Valley ride and having to come back to work right away I haven't
had
> a chance! The cultures came with nothing and I belive the horses are
> getting better(hardly any coughing anymore and the eyes are better). The
> stallion and my mare never did get it although I did treat my mare with
> procaine in between competition. The stallion never needed anything.
They
> have been on auromyacin(sp?) 4g crumbles for about 2 weeks now and all
seem
> to be getting progressively better. The vet suggested letting it run
it's
> course now unless somebody gets worse again. He thinks they had a virus
> with a secondary bacterial infection and that while we were getting one
> over the bacteria it would infect the next one and so on. What we should
> have done is treat everyone in same barn at the same time(6 were in one
> field together and 1 stallion was in a paddock real close to them). I
had
> 3 others in a totally separate field. They finally got it and I treated
> them all(including my mare) with procaine real heavily for 10 days and
then
> put them on the auromyacin and they seem to be totally recovered.
Hopefully
> we are seeing the end of it now.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions and help -- next time I will immediately
insist
> on cultures and a trachial wash to see exactly what I am dealing with up
> front. Haven't had anything like this since '91 thankfully -- hope its
> another 6 years before I see anything again!!!!
>
> Thanks again!!
>
> Lori Hayward
> LIV2RYD in VA
>
> Ps. This is being copied to ridecamp to thank everyone for their
> suggestions as well.
> ----------
> > From: Compaq <trc@gte.net>
> > To: haywardl@shentel.net
> > Subject: flu
> > Date: Friday, October 31, 1997 7:36 AM
> >
> > Lori, Just curious what your horses ended up having? Did the culture
> show
> > anything? Thanks, shelley
> >

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 08:55:43 -0400 (EDT)
> From: RALSTON@AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Re:nutrition summary
>
> Great summary, MIKE-I loved it!
> Sarah Ralston
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 06:28:26 -0800 (PST)
> From: karen Clanin <kclanin@fix.net>
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Adequan, product inserts (long)
>
> Someone once said, "When all else fails, read the directions"
>
> The following product inserts are from http://www.luitpold.com
>

> ADEQUAN=AE i.m. Brand of Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan (PSGAG)
> Solution 500mg/5mL. For Intramuscular (I.M.) Use in Horses=20
> Caution: Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of
a=20
> licensed veterinarian.=20

> Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan and Water for injection q.s. Sodium=20
> Hydroxide and/or Hydrochloric Acid added when necessary to adjust pH.=20
> Sodium Chloride may be added to adjust tonicity.=20
>
> Pharmacology: Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan is chemically similar to=20
> the mucopolysaccharides of cartilaginous tissue. It is a potent=20
> proteolytic enzyme inhibitor and diminishes or reverses the processes=20
> which result in the loss of cartilaginous mucopolysaccharides. PSGAG=20
> improves joint function by stimulating synovial membrane activity,=20
> reducing synovial protein levels and increasing synovial fluid
viscosity=20
> in traumatized equine carpal and hock joints.=20
>
> Toxicity: Toxicity studies were conducted in horses. Doses as high as=20
> 2,500 mg were administered intramuscularly to 6 horses twice a week
for=20
> 12 weeks. This dosage is 5 times the recommended dosage and 3 times
the=20
> recommended therapeutic regimen. Clinical observations revealed no=20
> soreness or swelling at the injection site or in the affected joint.
No=20
> animal had any clinical illness during the trials and none showed any=20
> clinical or laboratory evidence of toxicity.=20
>
> Indications: Adequan=AE i.m. is recommended for the intramuscular=20
> treatment of non-infectious degenerative and/or traumatic joint=20
> dysfunction and associated lameness of the carpal and hock joint in=20
> horses.=20
>
> Contraindications: There are no known contraindications to the use of=20
> intramuscular Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan.=20
>
> Warning: Not for use in horses intended for food.=20
>
> Dosage and Administration: The recommended dose of Adequan i.m. in=20
> horses is 5OO mg every 4 days for 28 days intramuscularly. The
injection=20
> site must be thoroughly cleansed prior to injection. Do not mix
Adequan=20
> i.m. with other drugs or solvents.=20
>
> Reproductive Safety: Studies have not been conducted to establish
safety=20
> in breeding horses.=20
>
> Warning: Keep this and all medications out of the reach of children.=20
>
> How Supplied: Adequan=AE i.m. solution, 500 mg/5 mL, is available in
5mL=20
> glass ampules or vials, packaged in boxes of 4.=20
>
> Storage Conditions: Store in a cool place 8=B0 - 15=B0 C (46=B0 - 59=B0
F).=
> =20
> Discard unused portion.=20
> Made in U.S.A.
> IN 995Ol
> Rev. 04/92
> NADA# 140-901, Approved by FDA

> ADEQUAN=AE I.A. (Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan) (PSGAG)
> Solution 250mg/mL. For Intra-articular (I.A.) use in horses=20

Polysulfated=
> [...]
joint=20
> sepsis.=20
> Joint sepsis is a rare but potentially life-threatening complication
of=20
> intra-articular injection. It usually results from the deposition of=20
> skin organisms into the joint space by the needle tip. Gustafson et
al.,=20
> (1989) have demonstrated that Adequan=AE may potentiate a subinfective=20
> dose of contaminant bacteria. (2, 3). Hence, strict aseptic injection=20
> technique is of utmost importance.=20
> Successful resolution of joint sepsis depends on prompt recognition
and=20
> rigorous antimicrobial treatment. (1, 4, 5, 6). Early diagnosis of=20
> septic arthritis may be complicated by the similar appearance of joint=20
> inflammation. Excessive inflammation accompanied by lameness,
swelling,=20
> and edema extending beyond the joint limits should alert the=20
> practitioner to the possibility of sepsis. Synovial fluid analysis
with=20
> cytology and bacterial culture of the fluid or a section of synovial=20
> membrane are valuable diagnostic aids. Upon suspicion of joint sepsis,=20
> broad spectrum antibiotic therapy should be instituted without delay
and=20
> joint lavage considered. It is recommended that samples used for=20
> bacterial culture be taken prior to initiating antibiotic therapy.=20
> The concomitant use of Adequan=AE with steroidal or non-steroidal=20
> anti-inflammatory agents may mask the symptoms of joint sepsis,
thereby=20
> delaying the diagnosis and reducing the likelihood of a satisfactory=20
> resolution.=20
> Intra-articular injections should not be performed when the overlying=20
> skin is scurfed or blistered, as this precludes adherence to aseptic=20
> injection technique.=20
> Veterinarians are directed to the Reference Section below for
additional=20
> information concerning septic arthritis and its treatment.=20
>
> Impairment of Fertility: Fertility impairment studies in mares and=20
> stallions have not been conducted. Do not use in horses intended for=20
> breeding.=20
>
> Caution: Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of
a=20
> licensed veterinarian.=20
>
> How Supplied: Adequan=AE solution. 250mg/mL is available as:=20
>
> =95NDC 10797-991-72 1mL Single Dose Vials Packaged in boxes of 6=20
> Storage Conditions: Store in a cool place. 8=B0 - 15=B0/C (46=B0 -
59=B0F).=
> =20
> Discard unused portion. References:=20
>
> 1.Bertone, A; McIlwraith, CW et al: Comparison of various treatments
for=20
> experimentally induced equine infectious arthritis. Am J. Vet Res.
(48):=20
> 519, 1987. 2.Gustafson, SB: McIlwraith, CW: Jones, RL: Comparison of
the=20
> effect of polysulfated glycosaminoglycan, corticosteroids and sodium=20
> hyaluronate in the potentiation of a subinfective dose of
Staphylococcus=20
> aureus in the midcarpal joint of horses. Am. J. Vet Res. (50):=20
> 2014-2017, 1989. 3.Gustafson, SB: McIlwraith, CW:Jones, RL:
Dixon-White,=20
> HE: Further investigations into the potentiation of infection by=20
> intra-articular injection of polysulfated glycosaminoglycan and the=20
> effect of filtration and intra-articular injection of amikacin in=20
> horses. Am J. Vet Res. (50): 2018-2022, 1989. 4.Koch, DB: Management
of=20
> infectious arthritis in the horse. Comp. Cont. Educ. (1): 546, 1979. 5.
> McIlwraith, CW: Treatment of infectious arthritis. Vet. Clin. N. Am.,=20
> Lg. Anim. Pract. (5): 363, 1983. 6.Morris, PG: The clinical management=20
> of septic arthritis in the horse. Comp. Cont. Educ. (2): 5207. 1980. 7.
> Von Essen, R. and Holtta, A: Improved method of isolating bacteria
from=20
> joint fluids by the use of blood culture bottles. Ann. Rheum. Dis.
(45):=20
> 454, 1966.=20
>
> Made in USA
> IN 99171
> Rev. 04/92
> NADA #136-383, Approved by FDA=20
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:48:40 -0800 (PST)
> From: Trish Dowling <dowling@skyway.usask.ca>
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Rotating dewormers
>
> I was wondering the same thing Kat posted. What do you rotate with if
> you use Quest? I've always rotated like Kat - 2 ivermectin 1
> strongid,etc. Would you throw a strongid in there a couple times a year
> like normal regardless of when you gave the Quest or something else?
>
> Go ahead, people, unconfuse me.
>
> Tori
>
> Whether or not to rotate dewormer (and the rotation schedule) is very
controversial among veterinarians, and
> to my knowledge, the subject has not been addressed in a scientific
study. Because of how I manage my
> horses (4 adult geldings), I only use ivermectin (Quest is not in Canada
yet). I would use Strongid if I thought
> I had a problem with tapeworms. Whether or not tapeworms cause actual
damage in horses is debatable
> (they attach around the junction between the ileum and cecum, and may
play a role in ileocecal
> intussusceptions - where the ileum telescopes into the cecum - a nasty
but rare form of colic). I have only
> rarely seen tapeworm eggs in fecal exams in Alabama and there I did
prescribe Strongid. This is a good
> question to take to your veterinarian, who would be familiar with the
parasite problems in your area.

> Cheers,
> Trisha
> BTW, somebody pulled the dihydrogen monoxide story on my husband and I -
my husband was caught, but
> I guess hanging around the academics helped and I figured it right out!
But it surely does illustrate the
> [...]
> general -seems to depend much more on individual feet and conditions
> than color. It seems likely (I think) that it is the ground that is
making
> my horse's feet the way they are (dry and tendency to chip) and not their
color!
> Now that several people have pointed that out it seems
> like it would certainly make sense in my case. Although my horse is
> often outside on a grass pasture, when I ride (2-3 times/week) I
> usually go on long rides. First we have to go on pavement (a bit less
than a mile)
> to get to the trails and then one part of the trail is very muddy (stays
wet all
> summer),followed by most of it being sand (usually packed down sand,
> not the deep stuff) and some small rocks. A large part of the trails
where I
> ride are in a pine forest -the trees were originally planted about a
> hundred years ago for the very reason that the soil is very sandy-the
> roots of the trees keep the soil in place.
> I have also noticed his shoes wear out pretty fast. A new set pretty much

> at each trim, except in the winter, when there is less stuff to wear
> his shoes down with all the snow and ice we get! And I do have to have
shoes on
> him all the time (except if I wasn't riding at all I guess) because
otherwise his feet
> would get too short real fast. So it is probably the ground I am
> riding on, right? And if there was something he wasn't getting in his
> food......what would that be? Right now he is on grass pasture in late
spring,
> summer and early fall with a mixture of oats, some Omolene (give me more
> molasses please!) and a pretty complete vitamin/mineral supplement
> twice/week. In the winter he is outside in the pasture all day
> (unless it rains or there is a big storm) with grass hay that we put
> out for them. We bring them in every night though since there is not
> much shelter. My horse gets some oats/Omolene and vit./mineral
> supplement and again some hay to munch on for the night.
> Thanks for the input!
> Lysane and Buck
> P.S. To Monika,
> I know B.C. doesn't get much snow and cold because of the ocean, but
> I thought Alberta was one of the provinces with lots of snow! Oh well,
> lucky you -enjoy the El Nino and chinooks and think of me when I
> attempt to ride in -10 weather come December/January!! :))
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 12:30:43 -0500
> From: "The Vervaet's" <VervaetP@deruyter.k12.ny.us>
> To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@endurance.net>
> Subject: rotating de-wormers
>
> VervaetP@deruyter.K12.NY.US
> I don't know if worming recommendations differ, depending on the area
that
> you live in, or not. My vet recommends 2 (double) doses of Strongid.
One
> [...]
> details, but I have been urged by friends to tell my side of the story. I
> used old and well cleaned bute syringes to administer electrolyes to my
> horses. I often had my children load the syringes with the electrolytes.
> They inadvertantly used a syringe that had a remnant of bute. I
discovered
> this after the ride, and I called Miki Cohen and told her about it. I
> didn't know whether the syringe had been used during the ride or not.
> Tio tested positive for a very minute amount of bute. The Vet committee
> recommended that, because the bute was present in such a small quantity
as
> to confer no performance advantage, that I not be censured. The Protest
> and Greivance Committee didn't agree and voted to censure me. I appealed
> this to the full Board of Directors. I want to make it clear that I
> appealed only the penalty--not the crime. For taking this step, I was
> subjected to an unbelievable amount of pressure, including phone calls
from
> Board members imploring me to withdraw my appeal and inflammatory letters
> from Dane Frazier to the Board questioning my integrity. The head of the
> California State drug testing program characterized the amount of drug
> present in Tio as the amount of bute that might be present in the bottom
of
> a bucket that had the bute top dressed on feed. I felt that the penalty
> imposed on me was not commensurate with the severity of my infraction--I
> still do.
>
> I firmly believe that as a rider I am fully responsible for what happens
> my horse, and that I alone bear full responsibility. I certainly do not
> hold anyone else responsible for the presence of bute in Tio's blood.
> However, it was an accident. The Vet Committe agreed that it was an
> accident and that it did not affect the outcome of the race. I do not
> believe that the punishment fit the crime, nor do I feel that I was
fairly
> treated during the course of my appeal. All I did was ask for a
> reconsideration of the issue, and I was treated as a major criminal of
> dubious moral character.
>
> I would be happy to answer any questions that this engenders.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 13:35:47 -0500
> From: bolton@pbhs.brevard.k12.fl.us
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Tapeworms in horses??
>
> Got a question for ya'll.....I rotate wormers from the different
> classes and never really wondered if I had a worm problem till now......I
> saw mention of tapeworms not being in the spectrum of worms that are
> treated by even Ivermetrin. We keep three horses on about three acres at
> out home.....we also have three large dogs, one of the great danes got
> tapeworms, noticably. Well we administered wormer to the dogs(all) for
> tapeworms in case they were all infected......my question is: #1)
Should