Re: Tapeworms in horses??

Lynette Helgeson (helgeson@lansford.ndak.net)
Sat, 01 Nov 1997 10:10:41 -0600

bolton@pbhs.brevard.k12.fl.us wrote:

> Got a question for ya'll.....I rotate wormers from the different
> classes and never really wondered if I had a worm problem till now......I
> saw mention of tapeworms not being in the spectrum of worms that are
> treated by even Ivermetrin. We keep three horses on about three acres at
> out home.....we also have three large dogs, one of the great danes got
> tapeworms, noticably. Well we administered wormer to the dogs(all) for
> tapeworms in case they were all infected......my question is: #1) Should
> I be worried that my horses have tapeworms too. #2) and if so what can I
> give them to worm them for tapeworms, just to be on the safe side.....I
> know they are very contagious........Dogs and horses have access to one
> another.

I am interested in this too. I have just discovered that at least one of my
barn catshas tape worms. I worm everything on the place with ivermectin. I
looked on
the labeling and ivermec does not take care of tapeworms. My cats are around
my horses and one of my colts has been having a hard time with keeping weight
on. Could
he have tapeworms?

Also I have been very busy with a full time job AND trying to set up a
business out
of my home, so I have not been doing as much replying as I should have been
doing
But
I want to take this time to thank everyone who helped me. I seem to have found

a saddle that is going to fit my horse. I bought a Big Horn Endurance Saddle
and
I did the baby powder on the back and it came out nicely powdered with no
clear
spots. Thanks again for all of the help and I am going to keep listening to
all of
the advice and learning everything I can about endurance riding.

Lynette