ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: flu

Re: flu

lahayward (haywardl@shentel.net)
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 08:20:27 -0500

Hi Shelley -- sorry...I meant to send something out to everyone but between
the Ft Valley ride and having to come back to work right away I haven't had
a chance! The cultures came with nothing and I belive the horses are
getting better(hardly any coughing anymore and the eyes are better). The
stallion and my mare never did get it although I did treat my mare with
procaine in between competition. The stallion never needed anything. They
have been on auromyacin(sp?) 4g crumbles for about 2 weeks now and all seem
to be getting progressively better. The vet suggested letting it run it's
course now unless somebody gets worse again. He thinks they had a virus
with a secondary bacterial infection and that while we were getting one
over the bacteria it would infect the next one and so on. What we should
have done is treat everyone in same barn at the same time(6 were in one
field together and 1 stallion was in a paddock real close to them). I had
3 others in a totally separate field. They finally got it and I treated
them all(including my mare) with procaine real heavily for 10 days and then
put them on the auromyacin and they seem to be totally recovered. Hopefully
we are seeing the end of it now.

Thanks for your suggestions and help -- next time I will immediately insist
on cultures and a trachial wash to see exactly what I am dealing with up
front. Haven't had anything like this since '91 thankfully -- hope its
another 6 years before I see anything again!!!!

Thanks again!!

Lori Hayward
LIV2RYD in VA

Ps. This is being copied to ridecamp to thank everyone for their
suggestions as well.