ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: how to clean a filthy winter coat?

Re: how to clean a filthy winter coat?

Jerry & Susan Milam (jdmilam@fwb.gulf.net)
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 06:58:37 -0800

Glenda R. Snodgrass wrote:

> Since I seem to be feeling chatty tonight, I'll ask another question. :)
>
> Thanks to a cold snap last week, Lakota has finally grown his fuzzy winter
> coat. Yesterday we went on a long ride, during which he perspired quite a
> bit, and brought up all the dirt buried in that fuzzy fur, which combined
> with the salty sweat to make filthy froth, which dried in the cold wind to
> near-cement by the time we returned to the barn.
>
> Now, in the summer time I relish in hosing him down when he's really nasty
> (since that nice cool spray covers me too :), but now it's too cold to
> hose him down. I walked him until he dried, then brushed and brushed and
> brushed and brushed until my arms were falling off, but still there were
> several spots of near-cement in heavy-sweat areas that I could NOT remove.
> Does anyone have any great tips on removing this gunk? Or is it okay to leave it on and let him roll it off?

Glenda,

I try to keep my guys as short-haired as possible in the winter first
off. But when they do get like this. After the stuff is completely dry,
I'll take whatever brush or curry that will break it up to them. Then
flick as much of the underdirt off and then if I feel it still looks
filthy, I'll get a very warm bucket of water and sponge off those areas
and then rub the area dry with a towel followed by a cooler til they're
dry. Always try to do it in the warmest part of the day.

Good Luck next week:)

Susan