ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: attn. ride managers

Re: attn. ride managers

Terry Woolley Howe (cancer@inetworld.net)
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 16:41:28 -0800

MS LOUISE D BURTON wrote:

> Ride Managers:
> My IAHA delegate asked me to ask ya'll about this new distance riding form
> where you have to list the number of Arabs/Half Arabs starting a ride, and
> not just the total number of horses.
> She would like to know:
> CAN you do this from your entry forms?
> WOULD you do this?
> As a ride manager myself, I told her I haven't a clue who's a half
> Arab/purebred, and it would be impossible for me to give this information,
> plus A LOT of extra work!
> As a rider, I don't feel I should put upon a ride manager, who has enough
> to do, to request this information.
> Thanks. I will also forward your response to George McGraw, Region IX director.
> Louise Burton
> Okmulgee Cougar Prowl
> Firedance Farms Arabians
> OK

I don't think it would be a problem (at least for me). My entry form
lists the breed. You could alter the entry form to include a check off
for Arab., 1/2 arab., or other. My statistics provided to the riders
after the ride always list the breeds anyway. I would not have this
information available at the ride, because I don't put these statistics
together until after the ride, but most of these forms are allowed a
little time to be submitted. I don't think you would need to see the
registration papers, since the individual submitting these forms
obviously has his horse registered in a division with IAHA.

As a ride manager, even though it may be a little more work to get these
numbers together for the riders, if IAHA requires these figures, how can
you support the riders if you don't adjust the ride entry to provide
these numbers? It does not seem like it would be any more difficult
than providing the breakdown of the weight divisions.

Terry Woolley Howe
San Diego