ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Adequan

Re: Adequan

Jerry & Susan Milam (jdmilam@fwb.gulf.net)
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 06:53:24 -0800

Tivers@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-10-27 16:01:20 EST, cree_l@LSA.Lan.McGill.CA writes:
>
> << hello! I would like to know if anyone has used Adequan intra-muscularinjections on any of their horses? Do you know what the cost of these injections are?
> Lysane >>
>
> Yes. It is effective. Cost ranges from $50 to $80 per vial (depending on your> vet's profit margins) and the treatment is 7 vials, or one each week. In> racehorses, the results are well worth the cost.
>
> I've noticed a certain reluctance to spend money on taking care of endurance> horses, so, perhaps this is not for you. However, if you take on the> responsibilities of God to your horses, then you use the best God has given> for the problem at hand. IM Adequan is a wonderful tool.
>
> ti

Dear Tom and others,

I have a 6yo arab who I've been doing LD off of for past year. After his
second ride last season he developed a lamness at the vet in we thought
was a suspensory problem. Well, after a layoff and still no better, we
took him to Auburn Vet School for evaluation. They did a phenomenal eval
that cost us pittence for the time they spent with us. US showed
suspensories clean. XRay showed he has lower ringbone.

Well, after that the vets recommended a stint on Cosequin. It appeared
to have a positive effect the first month or two and the gait started
being more off again. 4 months after the eval at Auburn I had our local
vet re-XRay him to note changes. Our vet comes out today to compare the
films, but initially, she thought it looks like he's trying to stabilize
the joint. To me, that means it's trying to fuse.

I called Adequan and talked to their scientists about the series of
injections and they convinced me that it could really help him. So, I
called my loacl vet and asked her and she agreed, it might.

I started the series 3 weeks ago and haven't seen a lot of change in the
offness. I'll ride him today and check him again. My shots are costing
me $68/ shot. I feel if it helps him, they will be worth every cent. If
not, at least I won't be buying Cosequin every 22 days as before.

Tom, why do all the Adequan studies recommend the IM series to be given
every 4 days and the vets tell you every week?

Thanks for your input

Susan & Sabian