ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Wheat Hay

Re: Wheat Hay

Susan Evans Garlinghouse (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 18:08:12 -0700

DreamWeaver wrote:

> I have a supplier that has some 'bearded wheat hay'. I've never heard of
> it. Does anybody have any comments or experiences with this hay?

It's a pretty low nutritive value hay, not much better than straw,
unless there is ALOT of grain still on the stems, and it was cut and
cured still in the milk stage. The protein content is around 8%, has
very low lysine, and is very low in both calcium and phosphorus. All
the other macro and microminerals as well, for that matter. Like all of
the cereal grass hays, the phosphorus content is higher than calcium.
If ever there was a hay that can in most cases be considered a source of
fiber and not much else, this is it. The energy content is lower than
bermuda and not much higher than oat straw. They'll eat it, but most
don't like it as well as the other cereal grass hays such as oat or
barley.

Hope this helps.

Susan