ridecamp@endurance.net: Busted condition awards - we win!

Busted condition awards - we win!

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull (elsie@calweb.com)
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 17:13:54 -0700

McClements Darryl wrote:

> ...My Mum fell off her trusted gelding at a WALK!! when he took a
> wrong step and ended up being airlifted to hospital, a few years ago!?
> As careful as you try to be with horses there's always that
> unpredictability.

Well, I think my husband wins in the "really stupid and
pointless accidents" department.

I got a call from the stables on Wednesday to say he'd been
bucked off Provo and broken his leg. Two fire engines and
an ambulance later, I met up with him in the emergency section
of the hospital.

It turns out, he'd got on Provo bareback, but hadn't quite settled
into the right position before the horse decided that it was time
to scurry off. Patrick slipped further and further back, so decided
to cut his losses and hopped off.

Unfortunately, he was wearing his very solid motorcycling
boots, which are excellent to avoid crush/abrasion accidents
at high speed, but pretty useless when it comes to bending
your knees to take up the shock, or absorbing shock from
the ground.

He now has extra pins, plates and screws after two bouts of
surgery and comes home from the hospital tomorrow. Sigh.

So much for my thoughts of romantic trail rides/ starting our
endurance careers this Spring... and he was coming along so
nicely.

--
Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
Displaced English person in Sacramento, CA

http://www.calweb.com/~elsie http://www.calweb.com/~trouble **************************************************************