ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: probiotics

Re: probiotics

Sarah McIntosh (smcintos@rapidnet.net)
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 09:32:39 -0700

Susan Evans Garlinghouse wrote:
<snip>
This isn't a judgment as to the efficacy of yogurt, but I've heard a

> number of people talk about the research studies that were done on
> horses regarding the benefits of probiotics. The research that was
> done
> (a dozen or so studies at Northwestern) utilized one specific culture
> strain of yeast fungus, Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Specifically, the
> yeast culture was that marketed as Yea-Sacc, which the research showed
>
> resulted in higher butterfat in lactaing mares, better growth in young
>
> horses and higher fiber digestibility, etc in working horses. All
> good
> stuff.

<snip>

> Susan

Hi Susan:

Thanks for all the Ca, Phos & rice bran info, i really appreciate your
efforts to educate the rest of us. (Thanks to Tom too.)

I asked this last year and did not print your reply. Sorry to ask
again.

I have been conditioning my 17 year old Appy mare for 2 years now. A
lot of mountain riding. Starting now i can't ride as much because of
darkness so only riding about 10 miles a week. Starting up again in the
spring we do about 20-40 miles/week, sometimes more. Tiki gets all the
local hay she can eat, 1-2 lbs of 10% protein extruded horse food, 20
grams of a vitamin/mineral supplement, 15 grams of biotin (per day).
She also has a mineral/salt block that she rarely uses (i don't know
why). The local hay is quite coarse and not high in nutritional
value. I have access to Yea-Sacc. Would you recommend i feed her some
(how much?) and would you give during the winter (less work) or only in
spring/summer (much more work)? I do plan on entering some 25 mile
rides next summer (gotta start somewhere)

Also.... what about lysine? i have access to this as well. There isn't
any lysine in her supplement, would you suggest i give her any? How
much/day?

Thanks for any info you suggest.

Happy trails,

Sarah & Tiki