ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Saddle Size comparison

Re: Saddle Size comparison

Laney Humphrey (laneyh@mbay.net)
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 07:57:01 -0700

Hi, finding just the right saddle is really complicated. My book,
"Choosing a saddle for endurance and long distance riding," covers just
about everything you need to know in order to find a saddle that is right
for both the horse and rider.
32cm. refers to the width of the tree across the withers. Each saddle
maker measures a little bit differently. You could find out what a
Marciante measures by calling the company (1-800-684-7433). If the
Marciante is too wide but otherwise fits the horse and rider, shims on the
saddle pad can correct the fit.
A lot of saddles, including some costing much less than a Stubben, come in
a variety of tree sizes (i.e., "widths"). So, if it is the tree width you
friend is concerned about, there are a lot to choose from. The Marciante
looks sort of "western" on top but is built more like an "english" or
"dressage" saddle underneath.

Hope this helps! Laney
(book available from Filaree Press, PO box 1361, Carmel Valley CA 93924,
$10 prepaid)