ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: oat/alfalfa

Re: oat/alfalfa

Don and Jennifer (dandj@thevision.net)
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 00:46:15 -0700 (PDT)

>From: Pat Bush
>Email: kenpatbush@telis.org
>
>I've been following the messages about 50/50 grass and alfalfa hay, but
here in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas east of Sacramento, California,
we can't get good grass hay. What about 50/50 oat/alfalfa? How does it
compare nutritionally and can you feed corn, oats and barley with it and
have a balanced diet for endurance horses? Should you feed supplements with
that mix? Thanks

In the Central Valley it is almost impossible to find any grass hay that
doesn't have tons of foxtail in it. We've been feeding forage mix: oats,
beardless wheat, and beardless barley. Beardless varieties are important.
The horses all get fat and seem in good health. We supplement when working
with Equine Senior (even for the 4 y.o.). We get it from a dairyman
neighbor who grows it so it is fairly inexpensive and good quality.
J.C. and Don