ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Vaccinations and immune malfunction

Re: Vaccinations and immune malfunction

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 17:20:27 GMT

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 10:39:27 -0400 (EDT), Trishmare@aol.com wrote:

> My research into vaccines began 10 years ago, when I was pregnant and
>under the care of a holistically oriented lay mid-wife. The basic gist of
>what I've discovered is this:
> Vaccines stress the immune system. It is a healthy immune system, NOT a
>lack of germs in the environment, which prevents disease. There are ALWAYS
>germs in the environment. Vaccines are an unnatural stess to the immune
>system.

Trish, I know you're sincere, but I respectfully suggest that what
you've been presenting is a form of psuedoscience. That is, it
contains kernels of truth, but it is mixed with fallacy and leads to
wrong conclusions. This kind of thing is not uncommon and the "true
believers" often passionately believe what they say.

Of course vaccines stress the immune system ... that's part of how
they work, just like stressing our muscles (in conditioning) is how we
get stronger. And vaccines are not without risk -- but deciding to
use them or not requires assesing the risks against the benefits.

Vaccines have eliminated smallpox, once a killer of millions, from the
earth. Vaccines have eliminated or greatly reduced the threat of
other once-devastating childhood diseases in humans. These are easily
verifiable facts, not propoganda.

Vaccinations for certain diseases in animals has similary saved many
animal lives, and in the case of rabies vaccines has saved humans as
well (at least from the very painful treatment program).

I do agree with you that vaccines can be abused and overused, like any
other medication. And I would staunchly oppose *any* rule that would
require endurance horses to be vaccinated for any disease. The
decision to vaccinate or not is (should be) one for the individual to
make.

--

Joe Long jlong@mti.net http://www.mti.net Business http://www.rnbw.com Personal