ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: rabies

Re: rabies

Teresa Van Hove (vanhove@unavco.ucar.edu)
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 11:01:55 +0700

Susan,

I really enjoy sharing all your expertise via this list. I believe that a
teaching college vaccinating cows for rabies is like someone with a lesson
horse vaccinating their horse to avoid liability. A working veterinarian
should be immunized for rabies - my sister is a vet tech and all the staff at
the clinic she works for are vaccinated for rabies - I think because there
were some cases of rabies in cows in that area and as you state cows,
(and probably horses) have different rabies symptons - often just lethargy
I believe - which can look like any ordinary problem. I don't think
horse owners have a responsibility to vaccinate for rabies to protect
their vets (or ride vets - although I think a horse with rabies would be
too sick to take to a ride.) If there was an outbreak of rabies &/or my vet
was recommending it I would vaccinate my horses. BTW since rabies vac. is
not legislated for horses is this something you give only every 2 or 3
years?

I hope you keep informing all of us on this list.

Teresa