ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: ROC-Rogers Comments

Re: ROC-Rogers Comments

Ramey Peticolas-Stroud (ramey@wvi.com)
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 07:51:50 -0700

Truman Prevatt wrote:

> Yes it is Susan's ride and she can do anything she wants. She can even set
> the cut off for a 100 miles to five hours if she wants.

Not to address the ROC specifically, but rather all AERC sanctioned
events, I must respectfully disagree with this comment.

I speak, not as an AERC Director, elect, but rather as a rider. I sat
this because I think directors sometimes hang back from questions for
fear of committing AERC to some official position. For me this causes
the loss of valuable discussion. So for the future, if I write
something on the Net, it is as an individual unless otherwise stated.

Now, back to the issue of cut-off times. Unless there is a clear and
present emergency, or unless there are obvious and unusual safety
concerns among the vet staff, cut-off times violate a rider's right to
choose her pace. Namely, that we have 12 hours to complete a 50, 24
hours for a 100, etc. In other words, cut-off times for the sake of
administrative convenience are not allowed under AERC rules.

The Protest and Grievance Committee Opinion regarding the Castle Rock
ride states the official AERC position on this issue quite clearly. It
is published in the latest Endurance News.

Ramey