ridecamp@endurance.net: Corn oil (was Re: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #674)

Corn oil (was Re: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #674)

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 21:16:37 -0700

For humans, dietary cholesterol is for most people not the problem. It is
saturated fats and certain other components that are the problem. Having
corrected that statement, corn oil is low in saturated fats, the overall
diet of fat in horses even with added corn oil would be considered a very
low fat diet for humans, and horses are not noted for dying of heart
attacks - colic is "the horse disease". So the conclusion is probably
correct.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net

> From: Martin and Susan Felker <felker@swva.net>
> > 1. If I'm feeding lots of corn oil for maintaining weight, am I also
> > hardening my
> > horse's arteries?
> >

> No--corn oil doesn't have cholesterol. Cholesterol hardens arteries.
Don't worry.