ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: AERC #

Re: AERC #

Lynette Helgeson (helgeson@lansford.ndak.net)
Thu, 09 Oct 1997 11:43:33 -0500

Bob & MaryAnne Bobrow wrote:

> And everyone else. If pro-rated dues is an issue, then by all means,
> we'll present it to the Board. All we (AERC National Office staff) is a
> little time to bring our accounting functions in-house (so we can SAVE
> money), bring EN in-house (so we can SAVE money) and a few other ideas
> that I and the rest (Cindy, Jan & Kate) of AERC's National office staff
> can do to make our members happy! I've only been on board since July
> 21st and I do know (or at least I feel like I'm that old) that Rome was
> not built in a day. We're only asking for a chance to show you folks
> that we really do care and that we intend to do what we can to make this
> the BEST organization to belong to. Okay?
>
> MaryAnne

I am not a member of AERC, in fact I just completed my first competitive
ride
and I am looking forward to lots more rides next year, so I am very
interested
in joining AERC. I have been watching this thread with interest and I hope
you
do not mind my getting in my .02 cents worth.

First of all I have experience with the organization of both Associations
and
Co-ops, plus I have served on many boards. Also I have attended class on
improving the relationship between the members and the board. If there is
one thing that deteriorates an organization faster is the lack of
communication
between the board and it's members. You have an excellent forum for
communication with your members right here with this list and you could
utilize it.

I would take all of the responses that you have received, good and bad
and give copies to all of the board members. Each members comments
should be given consideration and taken seriously. I have seen more comments

then just the pro-rating of the dues. Everything should be taken to the
board.

I also think that the raising of fees for any reason without some discussion
with
the members is bad policy. A lot of the responses that you are getting at
this
list shows that the members do not feel the board is being fair. I also see
the
members losing faith in the board because of this action. When you lose
faith
you lose trust and then you lose membership. Without membership there is
no need for a board and the organization dies and something else takes the
AERC's place. I don't think that the members are having a problem with
covering
the costs of the organization but they do not feel they are not being kept
informed.
That is the biggest rule of a board and the first one that is always
ignored, is keeping
the members informed. They need more details.

I also have seen a lot of good suggestions come out of this discussion, so I
further
stress that you send copies to each member and deal with each one. I wish
that
when I was on boards that we would have had an opportunity
to communicate with our members the same as you do with this e-mail list. If
you
really want to make this organization the BEST to belong too then LISTEN to
each
and every one of your members no matter how small of a voice that they have.

Lynette (climbing down off of her soapbox)