ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: First 25 miler and head flipping?

Re: First 25 miler and head flipping?

Kathy Myers (kathy@nvolve.com)
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 11:07:25 -0700

Congratulations Lucy! Sounds like you and Provo did great!

you wrote:
>The one thing that did disturb me slightly, was him starting
>to flip his head around the 20 mile mark.
>You know the flip I mean? the one they do when running
>around in the pasture, doing the "I'm better than you
>strut"?

Head flipping is indeed a horse language action. But we need
to find out what kind of action he was doing. If it's the flip
the horse does when being free lunged, it means "I'm sorry... I
didn't do it... please release the pressure. I'll be good this time"
... and on the trail this might mean something was getting sore.
The horse responds honestly to what is going on. If something isn't
right and he's getting sore (20 miles out... it's quite possible) then
a response like this "I'm sorry" head flip might make sense.

Let me see if I can clarify. *If* the horse (to no real fault of yours)
thinks there is some pressure (discomfort) they are being presented
with (off-fitting girth or saddle maybe) then the horse may think they
need to explain to you that what ever they did wrong that brought this
upon them (nothing in this case, but the horse doesn't know that) wasn't
really their fault... and they won't do it again. This particular
head flip means just that.

The problem here is the horse *hasn't* done anything wrong. But the
discomfort / pressure is there. The *horse's* response to pressure in
horse language is to submit to your authority... licking lips (I'm no
threat to you), head flipping (Sorry! Didn't mean it, it wasn't my idea!)
and dropping their nose to the ground (More "I'm a herbavoir, I'm no
threat to you").

Hmm... is this making any sense? All I'm trying to say here I guess is
double check your saddle fit, check for sore spots. Check your girth,
etc. It would be a shame if there *is* something wrong but we all
assume Provo's lauguage is saying he's happy instead.

:) - kat
in San Mateo (No.) Ca. with Magnum the TB ex-racer
"Yup, I thought that head toss was defiance too... but boy was I wrong!"