ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: First 25 miler and head flipping?

Re: First 25 miler and head flipping?

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull (elsie@calweb.com)
Tue, 07 Oct 1997 17:59:55 -0700

Jennifer Heim wrote:

> Maybe he was just saying: "Joy!" ?? Sunny does this and made a habit
> of it for trotting out for the vets. He kinda likes to show off, maybe
> your critter was really enjoying himself.

Not sure. Could be. Maybe I didn't see it that way because by 20 miles
I was beginning to feel a bit worse for wear. He, on the other hand,
was probably warming up... <grin>

I'm just paranoid because he was sore before this, and had just
had three weeks off, lolling about in the pasture eating vitamin
supplements.

I'd like to be able to massage him to help, but he seems sore to
the touch around the girth line, between the front legs and a bit
nippy because of it.

Is gentle stroking/rubbing going to help any, or am I just better off
letting him run about and work it off? Does this indicate a weakness that
I need to work on with him (like needing to walk up long hills builds
butt muscles?)?

Should I get him one of those big fluffy girths with the thick sheepskin?
Will that pad him more and not make his girthline sore (this sounds like
a dumb question, but I don't know how much difference it will make...)
I felt like I had to do the girth up really tight to keep us secure and
he got thinner during the ride and we had to tighten again. I was riding
him in one of those felt backed girths.

(oh-dear-does this mean it's time to go out and buy more horse stuff? <g>)

--
Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
Displaced English person in Sacramento, CA

http://www.calweb.com/~elsie http://www.calweb.com/~trouble **************************************************************