ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: tough/easy rides

Re: tough/easy rides

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Sun, 05 Oct 1997 10:41:43 -0600

On Sun, 05 Oct 97 08:21:23 -0500, ROBERT J MORRIS <bobmorris@rmci.net>
wrote:

>When you see three hour 50's and nine hour 100's, you know that the mileage
>is short of it was flat and on the roads where the horses could be run hard.

>To me, endurance is the name of the game. The object is to show your good
>horsemanship by covering long distances over tough terrain in minimal time.
>The concept is not to make the course easier by using roads and flat tracks
>(thus making it a flat out race). The name endurance is just that, to accept
>what is placed in front of you, surmount the challenge to the best of your
>(and your horse's) ability and not bitch about the difficulties but be proud
>that you could participate.

AMEN!!!

I'd like to add that, for me anyway, it is the tough rides that are the
most memorable, that give me the greatest satisfactiona and sense of
achievement. It is no accident that the most famous and respected rides
are generally ones with tough trails: The Old Dominion, the Tevis, the
Big Horn. The 1987 Race of Champions in Utah remains one of the most
memorable and proudest days of my life.

I agree that the flat, fast rides subject the horses to more long-term
stress and damage than do the tough rides.