ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Endurance Riding

Re: Endurance Riding

Omar Runolfsson (omar@vortex.is)
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 17:31:28 +0100

Hi!
In the magazine "Eidfaxi" 1981;(9):14-15, is an article about respiratory
frequency in the Icelandic horse.It is based on scientific research done by
doctors of medicine and a vet.This article has an abstract in english,and
here are some points from it.
"-Respiratory frequency (per minute) of Icelandic horses was counted at
rest or leisure under various conditions.It was found that normal horses,on
pasture in summer,or under various stable conditions in winter,could
breathe at a very different rate,or from 14-18 times per minute,to about 40
or even more per.min.. In an experiment done in march 1981 and repeated in
may 1981 where respiratory frequency was counted in 16 stabled horses at
different indoor and outdoor temperature,showed that baseline values of
respiratory frequency could vary from unknown reasons in stabled horses."-
Also is mentioned a doctoral thesis of Hartmut Storz (Uber ein Auftreten
hochgradiger Atemnot bei Island ponys und ihre Beziehungen zur
Dampfigkeit.Untersuchungen an Island ponys in Island:Munchen 1961) He found
that moderate (half hour ) riding of the horses ( 151 in number ) resulted
in great increase in respiratory frequency,which fell to normal values ( 10
- 20 per.min.) after rest for approxamately one half hour.

I personally talked to the vet who is one of the aouthors of the
article,and he told me that he was surprised how high the respiratory rate
was in Icelandic horses,and much higher than was normal in the litterature
for vets about horses.

Omar Runolfsson

----------
> From: Landy, Peter <landyp@eu.saic.com>
> To: 'icelandics-list@icelandics.com'
> Subject: Endurance Riding
> Date: 30. september 1997 15:59
>
> Hi
>
> Still looking for any inf. or papers to show vets in Scotland that
> Icelandic's naturally breathe faster and have higher heartbeats than
> other breeds. Still have big problems with our horses being penalised
> against, "unusually high" heart rates when in reality there is nothing
> high about them, just higher than others, namely Arabs. Any inf. would
> be greatly received.
>
> Thanks

> Peter Landy
> SAIC - EMail Services