ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Trail wise Mares

Re: Trail wise Mares

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 10:59:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Blankenship, Ann wrote:

> Paddi, I think that ability to find the trail back home is largely a
> mare thing. My geldings don't seem to be quite as capable of aways
> finding the way home as my mares. If I'm not sure of the way, I can
> always throw away the reins and my mares will zoom down the trail, never
> missing the turns toward home, even if they've only been on the trail
> once. Anybody else have this feeling about mares?

Can't speak about geldings as I don't have any.

But...

My stallion will invariable find the exact trail home. My mare will go
the short way (if that includes straight over the edge, it is straight
over the edge we go!) I don't ever just throw away the reins for my mare.

My stallion, on the other hand...I have been known to actually fall asleep
in the saddle and wake up in his stall.

kat
Orange County, Calif.