ridecamp@endurance.net: re: OrthoFlex

re: OrthoFlex

Linda S. Flemmer (bluwolf@earthlink.net)
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:54:39 -0700

J & G Ranch wrote:

> I would like to respond to your statement on ORTHO-FLEX saddles. The
> white hairs you saw behind the withers take about a year to start. In
> most cases it was from an ill fitting saddle prior to the use of the
> Ortho-flex being used.

I agree with you on this point and sent a similar direct post myself.
This is especially true if the white hairs are damaged follicles from
the winter coat which should just now be coming in.

Dry spots on a Ortho-flex are quite common and do
> not indicate a bad fit. I am a dealer for Ortho-flex saddles and know
> from experience that the flex system will leave dry spots from time to
> time. This does not mean the saddle has a problem. It is working
> properly.

Here, I partially disagree. A lack of sweating <does> mean more
pressure on the spot. That isn't a sign of immediate damage, but over
time I believe it is cumulative. Pressure is preventing circulation to
the follicles & sweat glands, starving them for fluid, oxygen, and
nutrition. For a pleasure rider who is in the saddle for 3 hours, it
isn't a big deal. Get on that same rig for 12-24 hrs and it becomes
much more of a problem. I ride (successfully) in an OF Express Lite and
have no dry spots as long as I position the saddle correctly when
tacking up. If I had dry spots, it means that I need to start the
"Great Saddle Hunt" again.

To the person considering the OF saddles, evaluate your horse for enough
length of back to accommodate the large surface area. It also helps if
the horse's back is relatively level (no sway backs), but the saddle can
be shimmed to assist with the fit. (Neoprene wedges placed in the
booties under the panels.) The workmanship on the saddles is
magnificent. When I got mine new, I wanted to display it in the house!
I cried the first time it got muddy. It simply glows now that it is
broke in. There IS NO ONE SADDLE that will fit every horse, though. :{

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV

--