ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Could I step in?

Re: Could I step in?

Joyce Kellenberger (joyce@homer.ca.boeing.com)
Sun, 28 Sep 97 17:22:12 PDT

You wrote:

> I agree with you. My mare is one of those mares that someone used for
> endurance and when I say used, I mean really used! The person who owned
> her before me, couldn't have ridden her in endurance that long, because
> she was only 8 when I bought her. Being really naive, I took this person
> at her word, didn't have a vet check and after I got her home and fell
> in love with her, found out she has navicular.

Susan:

My personal practice is not to start competing an endurance horse until
the age of seven or eight. That's not to say they can't train and
condition for a couple of years before, but no competitions until at
least seven. The reason behind this is because Arabians typically
mature later than other breeds. Full growth isn't achieved until the
age of seven usually and I have even seen a full inch in length in an
eight-year old. I have seen too many promising young horses being
damaged early on. I would suspect, however, that perhaps navicular
isn't the culprit as this is not typical in arabs but found more so
in the hunter/jumpers and quarter horses. I'm wondering about the
sesamoid bone, coffin bone, or other degenerative damage? Did she
have low heels when you got her? Long toes, low heels will contribute
to any of these conditions, including navicular. It's just unusual
to see navicular in an arab.

> I agree with you wholeheartedly, as I ended up with one of those
> "racing" endurance horses who was finished (in endurance riding) soon
> after she started. She did win alot, but at what price?

At what price is right. The young ones can do it, for awhile. They
don't often come back season after season. This is what I am learning.
I would really like to see the minimum age requirement be bumped up to
at least five for limited distance and six for 50's and up.

Yet another opinion . . .

Joyce