ridecamp@endurance.net: HURRICANES & Manzanita SW Region/Alert

HURRICANES & Manzanita SW Region/Alert

Glenda R. Snodgrass (grs@consider.theneteffect.com)
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 09:13:18 -0500 (CDT)

I haven't really been following this Pacific hurricane (forgive me but
I'm glad there's a hurricane somewhere else for a change :), but if
there's any chance at all that this hurricane will land within 100 miles
and within 24-48 hours of your ridecamp, I would forget about going.

Trail conditions are truly the least of your worries. Consider the
effects of 40-100 mph winds on your rig and your horse in a portable
corral in the open space. Winds of only 40 mph can pick up the panels of
your portable corral and slam them into you, your horses, your rigs, and
anything else around. Trailers can be picked up and moved, whole trees
felled, huge branches fly through the air like dead leaves. We're not
talking inconvenience and minor injury here -- hurricanes cause death and
destruction, and I'm not joking. It's not just a media frenzy -- take it
from those of us on the Gulf Coast who have lived through them year after
year.

If you get lucky, and all your ridecamp & trail suffer is an excess of
rain and light winds, you still need to watch for downed trees and mud
bogs in low-lying areas. Four days after Hurricane Danny (this past
July), my friend and I got our horses stuck to their bellies in mud that
we couldn't see -- we were walking quietly on a pine needle-covered trail
that we had traversed only the week before, without incident, when
suddenly both horses just fell right out from under us. My horse popped
out fairly quickly, but our companion horse took several minutes to free
himself, and came out shaking from head to toe so severely, we spent about
15 minutes standing on the trail, watching to see whether he could even
walk back to the barn. And Danny was one of the wimpiest hurricanes I've
ever seen!!

Don't take any chances. Watch that weather forecast. You do not want to
be driving or camping anywhere in the "zone" during a hurricane landing.

Glenda R. Snodgrass

Before you begin, consider ... The Net Effect
http://www.theneteffect.com
(334) 433-0196