ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: broken sesamoid

Re: broken sesamoid

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 11:27:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Kathy Macki wrote:

> I have a friend who found out today that her horse has a broken sesamoid
> bone. The vet said it's a clean break and seems to be healing fine. She
> said he would probably be okay for trail, but probably not for endurance.
> Any success stories or helpful hints would be appreciated.

It would be pretty safe to assume that a broken sesamoid is a career
ending injury for an endurance horse. They can heal, and maybe the horse
would be okay for a pleasur/trail hack to putz around on; however, if you
try to do too much with the horse and the sesamoid "rebreaks" well...

broken sesamoids are frequently life ending injuries (that is what Ruffian
died of) rather than just career ending. Your friend was lucky to get
away with a clean break this time so it can heal and the horse can have a
useful life.

_I_ wouldn't even dream of trying to do endurance with a horse that has
had this kind of injury, no matter how well it "heals"

I doubt that this was the words of encouragement that you were thinking
of, and there may be others with other opinions, but ...

just my 2 cents.

kat
Orange County, Calif.