ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Night Riding

Re: Night Riding

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 00:11:28 GMT

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997 20:18:32 -0400, "Frank W. Vans Evers"
<vans@cyberspy.com> wrote:

>I can tell you from experience that some horses will react violently to
>a sudden light appearing infront of them. I was on the way in from the
>pasture one night when I suddenly shined a flash light in front of my
>horse. Next thing I was on the ground and she was standing about four
>feet to the left. After that I showed her the light before putting
>toward the ground and she did not mind at all.

>You might try one of those reduced light filters to reduce the volume of
>light..

I agree that the minimum light is the best light. For years the only
light I've carried on night rides is a little mini-mag, powered by two
AA batteries. As I usually keep it off more than it's on, one set of
batteries would normallly last for a 100 miler.

Another suggestion: the mini-mag is small and light enough to carry a
spare light. Spare batteries may not be enough. A dropped or bumped
mini-mag easily burns out its bulb, and replacing a bulb in pitch dark
can be a real challenge.

--=20

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net