ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Weight discussion

Re: Weight discussion

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 03:25:56 GMT

On Sun, 21 Sep 1997 00:29:17 -0700, "Linda S. Flemmer"
<bluwolf@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I'm not sure that I like Carl's idea of handicapping for endurance
>riding at large at all, but I do believe that the equine athlete will
>perform to the heights to which he is trained. I would like to see some
>of the top runners train to a certain minimum weight & compete head to
>head, though. Sounds like it would be very interesting.

Neither do I. There have been numerous handicapping systems proposed
over the years, including staggering starting times based on weight,
and I've opposed them all. Unlike ractracks, endurance rides have far
too many variables to implement a fair handicapping system, and they
all have too much complexity. =20

I think we have too many weight divisions now -- I believe we were
better off with three.

--=20

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net