ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Weight discussion

Re: Weight discussion

Linda S. Flemmer (bluwolf@earthlink.net)
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 00:29:17 -0700

Lynne Glazer wrote:

> I am completely confused as to how all horses can be considered able to
> essentially carry a HW rider. It seems unfair to the slighter-built
> horse.

What the horse can accomplish is based on the training, not necessarily
the build. My old egyptian arab mare was 14.2 and very slightly built.
She weighed in around 875 lbs in good weight. She easily carried a
heavy weight rider (> 211 lbs w/ tack) for several thousand miles
without lameness or breakdown. She was quite competitive despite the
handicap of weight. We were quite careful in tack selection to be sure
that the weight was well distributed and the rider was skillful. I'm
sure that all helped tremendously.

I'm not sure that I like Carl's idea of handicapping for endurance
riding at large at all, but I do believe that the equine athlete will
perform to the heights to which he is trained. I would like to see some
of the top runners train to a certain minimum weight & compete head to
head, though. Sounds like it would be very interesting.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV