ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: weight

Re: weight

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 16:18:56 GMT

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997 16:58:35 -0700, Kimberly Price
<PLOUGH1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> For example, do you post a lot during a
>race to help keep the weight off the horse? =20

This question was directed at Bob, but I'd like to comment on this.
It's as much a question as an observation.

I feel that the technique of posting was developed for the comfort of
the rider, not the horse. As the rider's body is accelerated upward
every second stride of the horse, and falls back on the in-between
strides, the horse must be providing the energy for that acceleration.
Whereas, a rider who maintains his body up out of the saddle at a
trot, absorbing the up-and-down motion of the horse by flexing his
knees, does not place that burden on the horse. Does this make sense?
What are some other opinions on this?

(Of course, posting is clearly superior to just sitting on the saddle
bouncing on the horse's back!)

--=20

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net