ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Nikki's "tuck and roll" method

Re: Nikki's "tuck and roll" method

Reynolds (jakar@aiinc.com)
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 18:56:42 -0700

The Vervaet's wrote:

> VervaetP@deruyter.K12.NY.US
> Nikki,
> Could you describe the "tuck and roll" method for falling? I have a 10
> year old who has taken a few spills recently and I'd like to help her
> "perfect" her technique!

Hi Paula and ridecampers!,
This is something I've never tried before, but had always wondered
about. I'd had a horse flip over on me a few years ago and did the
"dive" launch off, but didn't get far enough away from the horse and he
got my legs. This time, when I saw my horse's head and neck disappear
under his front, my first reaction was to throw my hands out in front of
me, but on the way down, I realized I might break my wrists if I
braced. (You really DO have time to think a little during these
incidents!) Instead, I used my arms just to break the fall a little bit
and tucked my chin and that made me roll forward and out of Jakar's
way. I ended up about 15 feet in front of him and bounced right up to
my feet. I got a little rug burn on my left shoulder and a bruise on
the back of my right hip where I'd worn my cell phone. No biggie... The
phone still works fine! I was wearing my helmet and still had a bit of
a headache last night since after my hands, the back side of the top of
my head lit on the ground next.
Jakar is missing the hair from both knees and some skin off his face as
well as a lot of little facial cuts. He was stunned senseless for about
15 seconds afterwards. THAT was scary! He seemed knocked-out and
tensely paralyzed, bent to the left even though he was standing. Then
his whole body suddenly relaxed, he shook his head, and walked on down
the road in the direction we'd been going. We had been cantering on a
near perfect surface along a slightly cushiony sand road. I'm really
glad there weren't any rocks or hardpan!
We're just getting back into exercise after the severe wire cut across
the back of his right front pastern June 9th. Now I'm thinking I'd
better take him in to the vet and get that checked out. We were
cantering back that same day when he bobbled a little again and I'm SURE
it was that same foot. There may be some nerve problem there. Anybody
have any experience with that kind of injury? BTW, I've just come in
from grooming and checking him out and he seems none the worse for wear
this evening. No swellings or stiffness. Whew!
Thanks, Nikki