ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Pastern?

Re: Pastern?

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 16:29:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, SSY wrote:

> A comment was made to me "O she has long pasterns, probably won't use her
> for endurance." (person is a QH barrel background) Thought it was an
> interesting comment. Guess in my opinion the pasterns would be
> average-to-long, for part Arab. Upright but not too upright. Certainly not
> hot dog long. She is built very nice. The next 3 years can bring alot of
> change.

If she is still just a weanling you should expect her to have "long"
pasterns. The pastern is a bone which stops growning VERY early in life
(before birth to just a few months) while other long bones stop growing at
different ages (all of them later).

The fact that your weanling has long pasterns may just mean that she is
going to eventually be quite tall as frequently it is a bone that they
"grow into" especially since, as you say, they are quite upright.

Long sloping pasterns (these things USUALLY come together) can indeed
cause undue stress on the support structures (i.e. suspensory ligaments
and flexor tendons) of the lower leg and therefore could cause early
breakdown of an endurance (or race) horse. If the pasterns are long and
sloping enough that the back/bottom of the fetlock touches the ground
under normal load, this horse will probably have a great deal of
difficulty in holding up to heavy work--jumping is out!

On the other hand: Long sloping pasterns usually make for a very smooth
ride.

kat
Orange County, Calif.